[lbo-talk] All the complaints to the FCC come from one group!

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 13:43:33 PST 2004

The're an effective group... doing effective things.

Here's an example of PTC's accomplishments in American media history.

Someone's making money doing this, just like drugwars. It's a living... I guess.

How much is influence worth on the spot market??? Must go check.

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com

````````````````````````

Parents Television Council's Wrestling Moves Were Fake

By Brian Carnell

Tuesday, July 9, 2002

USA Today is reporting that World Wrestling Entertainment has reached a settlement with the Parents Television Council over claims the PTC made that four children died after attempting moves they saw on WWE's Smackdown!.

The PTC agreed to pay WWE $3.5 million, retract the claims and publicly apologize for its statements.

The amusing thing is that PTC is an offshoot of Media Research Center. MRC is a conservative media watchdog whose mission is to point out inaccuracies and bias in the mainstream media.

Anyway, here's the full statement of retraction from PTC/MRC head honcho L. Brent Bozell, continued...... ~ http://brian.carnell.com/archives/years/2002/07/000015.html --

> ONE GROUP RESPONSIBLE FOR 99.8% OF FCC COMPLAINTS
> http://www.mediaweek.com/mediaweek/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000731656

> TODD SHIELDS, MEDIA WEEK - In an appearance before Congress in February,
> when the controversy over Janet Jackson's Super Bowl moment was at its
> height, Federal Communications Commission chairman Michael Powell laid
> some startling statistics on U.S. senators. The number of indecency
> complaints had soared dramatically to more than 240,000 in the previous
> year, Powell said. The figure was up from roughly 14,000 in 2002, and
> from fewer than 350 in each of the two previous years.
>
> There was, Powell said, "a dramatic rise in public concern and outrage
> about what is being broadcast into their homes." What Powell did not
> reveal - apparently because he was unaware -- was the source of the
> complaints. According to a new FCC estimate obtained by Mediaweek,
> nearly all indecency complaints in 2003 -- 99.8 percent - were filed by
> the Parents Television Council, an activist group. This year, the trend
> has continued, and perhaps intensified. . .
>
> The prominent role played by the PTC has raised concerns among critics
> of the FCC's crackdown on indecency. "It means that really a tiny
> minority with a very focused political agenda is trying to censor
> American television and radio," said Jonathan Rintels, president and
> executive director of the Center for Creative Voices in Media, an
> artists' advocacy group.

----- Original Message ----- From: Wojtek Sokolowski To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 8:13 AM Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] All the complaints to the FCC come from one group!

Joanna:
> Well, hell, maybe it's time to organize and file complaints -- from the
> left, I mean.

Do not forget that the US and its institutions are a street with the right turns only. No left turns are permitted. You can have one wacky right wing group filing complains - and the government and the media will broadcast it all over as a 'wide spread public input." You can have millions complaints from the left - and they all will end in a trash bin.