NY WFP (Re: [lbo-talk] All the complaints to the FCC come from onegroup!)

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Dec 9 08:03:36 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert D. Day" <robertdday at gmail.com>

>Unfamiliar with the details of NY politics, I'm curious why the NY GOP
>would even WANT a WFP endorsement and whether or not -- and if so, why
>-- those who regularly vote WFP would consider voting Republican?

New York politics are odd-- the GOP has controlled the state Senate for decades largely through gerrymandering and strategic concessions to progressives in order to hold onto to candidates in swing districts. So the WFP endorsement can be critical. One of the GOP leaders of the fight for the minimum wage received the WFP endorsement and his margin of victory (still counting) will be the WFP voters.

And why would WFP voters support a GOPer? Some because they are culturally conservative but want to send a message that they want to support workers issues, some because they just the strategic endorsements of the party.