[lbo-talk] Crichton pleases John

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 16:59:24 PST 2004

Tommy Kelly posted (quoting John Stossel):

...the villains are environmental groups! What a switch! In my interview with Crichton, he says: "environmental organizations are fomenting false fears in order to promote agendas and raise money.

Yeah, Michael Crichton.

If memory serves, Crichton is the same ummm, novelist who, in an early 90's work titled "Rising Sun" (written, like his present release, after "exhaustive research") included at the end a super-heated little essay about how the Japanese were going to rule the world and how awful a thing that was.

The evidence cited included the Japanese work ethic, the aggressive schedules of the Japanese construction ministry (builders of highways to nowhere, from time to time) and the supposedly single-minded Japanese focus on, well, ruling the world.

This was clearly stupidity even back in '92 when everyone and her peg-legged grandmother was making documentaries showing well behaved Japanese kids sitting attentively in classrooms (learning, we were encouraged to believe at the time, how to, well, rule the world).

If Stossel's glowing review is to be believed (typing that sentence makes me want to paddle myself), Crichton's research methods haven't improved much since his days of yelling 'Look out everybody! Here comes Japan!'

.d.