[lbo-talk] Crichton pleases John

Curtiss Leung scissorsmacgillicutty at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 06:48:30 PST 2004

Gossip time.

I know someone who used to work in book production at Crichton's former publisher. Crichton's copy wasn't the cleanest, which is understandable given the volume of his output and others products, so the copy editors had to fix numerous mechanical problems and frequently send pages back to him asking for clarifications. Problem was, Crichton didn't like to be corrected, even for simple mechanical errors. He had a set of stamps with endearments like 'BLOW ME!' 'FUCK YOU' 'BULLSHIT' and other like phrases, and when he was especially annoyed by a copy editors intervention--which was most of the time--he would liberally pepper a page with these stamps. In short, a real class act.

Granted, I'm only repeating what somebody told me, and even if true, it should have no bearing on the quality of Crichton's research. But personally, I'd like to think a guy like that would be dishonest AND an asshole.

Curtiss