[lbo-talk] A quote I just can't source

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Fri Dec 10 15:10:59 PST 2004

On Dec 10, 2004, at 5:28 PM, Chip Berlet wrote:

> P. 60 Trumpet to Arms
>
> = = =
>
> "The underground press," UPS coordinator Tom Forcade wrote, "is
> crouched
> like a Panther, dollars and days away from daily publication and thus
> total domination in the print media. After the underground press goes
> daily, they'll die like flies."

Bingo! Do you happen to have the hardcover? My memory is that it's on the dustjacket.

> May be from UPS founding statement, but may not be, this is one of
> those
> books without proper footnotes.

I had the impression somehow that this quote was from a later period.

> Typical Forcade. I was on the board of directors of the Underground
> Press Syndicate, and Tom could spin a line.

The one time I met him--May '77, I think--I managed to spread some bad vibes by rather definitively declining to help him do something else with a group of lines.

> On the other hand, it was always fun.

No doubt. The Leamer book on the underground press was one of the biggest influences on me as a teenager--even the oppression (some of it, at least) sounded like, if not fun, then kicks. (I wonder if the library back home still has my circulation records? I'd love to see them.)

All the best,

John A