[lbo-talk] Spam questions

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Wed Dec 15 08:08:34 PST 2004

Gary? wrote:
> I don't get spam anymore, my inbox used to overflow with at least eighty
> percent spam, then I changed ISPs with a spam filter at the server. Not
> only did I miss spam but I lost a mail list also, along with a few
> personal mails but things settled down and in the last three months
> maybe two spammy messages got through.
> The strange thing right now is another list, an English bike list that
> was going fine, just stopped last Thursday, well I can read the archives
> but the live list doesn't recognise me anymore, mail I send to it and
> mail it sends to me doesn't get through. I subscribed from a different
> address and it works, I checked verizons mail options but cannot see
> where it could be dumping my mail.
> I'm sure it's something simple, or aliens.

gary?,

if you don't get bounce messages back, then its probably one of:

1) the list is silently rejecting mail from you (quite correctly since you use verizon ;-))

2) verizon is silently eating up the bounce messages

3) verizon is silently eating up the list messages (do you see your messages in the archives?)

you can easily verify #2 with the list admin. #3 (in a more general form) is what makes me wonder about the confidence people seem to have with spam filters at their ISP (this comment is why i am replying onlist). does verizon entirely filter out your spam or does it save it to a "spam" or "junk" folder?

--ravi