[lbo-talk] Question about appropriateness of a phrase

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 16 09:28:18 PST 2004

This list is filled with people whom I may occasionally disagree with over some issues but whose opinions I generally value as they are about as progressive as one can be and still be grounded so I'd like to pose a question before I do something hateful and rash. Does the phrase "You speak with forked tongue" when directed at someone of known Native American ancestry seem like a very inappropriate racially offensive phrase? Since Kelley and I disagreed one time over the use of the term redneck I'd be especially interested in your opinion but I'd like several people to comment if they don't mind. Thanks.

John Thornton