[lbo-talk] Re: Christians

Tommy Kelly tkelly15450 at charter.net
Thu Dec 16 15:01:47 PST 2004

>T Fast wrote:
>
>>think Carrol asks an important question: is christian
>>fundemenatlism an ideological resource ready to hand that
>>conservatives gravitate towards to legitimate their conservatism or
>>populist reactions? Or rather, is christian fundementalism that
>>which produces conservatism and populist reaction? The former makes
>>one want to ask the further question about why people come to hold
>>conservative values and employ reactionary populism. The latter
>>terminates the conversation.
>>

>Fundamentalist Protestantism is so much a part of American culture
>it's hard to treat it as some external object that one can
>"gravitate" towards, like a moon of Uranus. It's embedded in the
>common sense of large chunks of the U.S. population.
>
>Doug

I "believe" you are over stretching it a little bit. Its more similar to Linus and his blanket. Most of the people, when spoken to one-on-one, do not show the TBN style of spirituality. If so, why do we southerners have so many problem's alcoholic, drugs, and high divorce rates? If they where "really" fundamentalist, they would not do these things.