[lbo-talk] Re: Christians

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Fri Dec 17 07:48:11 PST 2004

On Dec 16, 2004, at 6:01 PM, Tommy Kelly wrote:

> I "believe" you are over stretching it a little bit. Its more similar
> to Linus and his blanket. Most of the people, when spoken to
> one-on-one, do not show the TBN style of spirituality. If so, why do
> we southerners have so many problem's alcoholic, drugs, and high
> divorce rates? If they where "really" fundamentalist, they would not
> do these things.

If they fully lived out what their religion officially teaches, perhaps. But hardly anyone, in *any* religion, does that. A lot of Christians, as I see them, either try to use prayer, etc., to solve their addiction, relationship, etc., problems, or hope that God's grace will keep them from going to hell even if they don't solve them.

The big problem with this kind of religion is that it encourages people to project their problems onto others, and then preach to and try to convert those others, as a way of helping them forget their own shortcomings. (Ironically, their own "Master" warned against this in his mote/beam analogy.) That's what makes them so obnoxious.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org _____________________________ "Simply by being human we do not have a common bond. For all we share with all other humans is the same thing we share with all other animals -- the ability to feel pain." -- Richard Rorty