[lbo-talk] More on the Antony Flew puzzle

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Dec 17 04:13:55 PST 2004

Seems to me that Flew, himself, was a major source of the rumors that he is now said to characterize as wild and baseless. Well, I guess all this will help to increase the sales of the new edition of his book, *God and Philosophy*, when it comes out from Prometheus Books, early next year.

Jim F.

------------------------------------------------------------------- Bulletin # 138 (16 December 2004) http://www.rationalistinternational.net

Professor Antony Flew

"I have not changed my views",

Antony Flew informs Rationalist International

By Sanal Edamaruku

Today, 16th December 2004, Professor Antony Flew, British philosopher, well known rationalist, atheist and an Honorary Associate of Rationalist International, telephoned me and informed that the wild rumours about his changed views are baseless. He expressed surprise over the confusion some people have spread and asserted that his position about the belief in god remains unchanged and is the same as it was expressed in his famous speech "Theology and Falsification". "I find no new reason to change my views", Professor Flew said.

Professor Antony Flew discusses the atheism of a rationalist, based on the impossibility to verify or falsify the religious claims about a god, in his short paper "Theology and Falsification", first published in 1950. Since then this paper was reprinted more than forty times in different places, including translations into German, Italian, Spanish, Danish, Welsh, Finnish and Slovak. During the conversation with me, Professor Antony Flew expressed desire to publicise this paper as it represented his views till this moment. "There is no change", Professor Antony Flew asserted. "Some people argue that I changed my views. It is simply not correct."

The recipients of Rationalist International Bulletin may publish, post, forward or reproduce articles and reports from it, acknowledging the source: Rationalist International Bulletin # 138. Copyright © 2004 Rationalist International