[lbo-talk] That reminds me, I need to do laundry on Saturday night...

Leigh Meyers leigh_m at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 17 10:55:48 PST 2004

"Saturday night's opening party -- dubbed Crash -- will feature Hex Hector, a Grammy-winning DJ who has remixed songs for Madonna, Ricky Martin and many other major stars."

Miami Herald:

Fri, Dec. 17, 2004 ENTERTAINMENT

Gay-themed club replaces strip bar

The opening of a nightclub in the old Pussycat Theater space reflects the growing clean-up of the northernmost part of Miami. BY DAVID OVALLE dovalle at herald.com http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/10437617.htm

It has survived neighborhood protests, police raids and even laws crafted to shut it down.

For more than three decades, it has boiled the blood of the virtuous and provided the fix for those craving the most primitive of urges.

But as an influx of fashionable restaurants, condo developments and the inevitable Starbucks signal sweeping change on Miami's Upper Eastside, the old triple-X Pussycat Theater is changing its stripes.

The notorious building, at 7770 Biscayne Blvd., opens this week as a nightclub aimed at the neighborhood's large gay population.

''It seems like that's what the community wanted,'' said Leroy Griffith, owner of the property for 35 years. ``I'm going to take a shot at it and see what happens.''

The building's new moniker: Boulevard Nightclub. It will celebrate its grand opening Saturday night, complete with valet parking, a nationally renowned DJ, a $15 cover charge and other South Beach-style accouterments.

Saturday's bash symbolizes the ongoing transformation of the area near 79th Street and Biscayne Boulevard, once known more for hookers, dope peddlers and seedy motels than Cosmopolitans and dance floors. [...]