[lbo-talk] "pale male" ... question to new yorkers...

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 19 21:33:59 PST 2004

Not a joke. I don't want to mention him by name because that somehow seems wrong and someone on the list may know him so it would cause an embarrassing moment for the guy if that were to happen. The fact that an intelligent man making an extremely high six figure salary believed something of this nature was mind boggling to me. Of course he paid some service to change the lightbulbs in his house every other month so that he would not have to ever worry about one burning out so maybe he wasn't as bright as I give him credit for being. He was kind of a bore, always telling everyone he lived in the house that Ed McMahon used to own in Port Washington and what great friends he was with the president of Rolex Industries who lived across the street. This only impressed people who couldn't "help" him in any meaningful way and served to make him look insecure to those who could. He was convinced that wasn't true when I told him that was my opinion. He was a good source of info and he did take me down onto the trading floor of the exchange once so putting up with his stupidity was worth it at the time. The woman who was afraid of Indians scalping people was also otherwise intelligent. College grad, had her Masters, executive at American Airlines, and very well traveled. I only found out about the scalping fear because I found out she was a little afraid of me since I am a Native American. She was afraid to let her son and daughter travel to the west because of it. I couldn't convince her otherwise. This type of insularity I have only seen in NYer's. Maybe people from LA or SF are occasionally like this too. I never met anyone like these people when I lived in Chicago but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It's probably everywhere and I've on just seen it in many NYer's but my gut feeling is NY has a disproportionate amount.

John Thornton