[lbo-talk] "pale male" ... question to new yorkers...

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Dec 20 10:21:06 PST 2004

At 11:51 AM 12/20/2004, Leigh Meyers wrote:

>Anyone with a counter-cultural backround from the '60s can remember
>when Gallup, NM and Jackson Hole, WY were *extremely* fond of long
>hair hippie types(tongue planted firmly in cheek).
>
>The cowboys AND the indians had a problem with the lifestyle.
>For the cowboys, it was the hippie, pacifist, peacenik image.
>
>The indians? My guess is the voluntary "poverty" of all those
>middle class white kids was *really*, *really* annoying.
>
>Haircuts happened, and hippie "chicks" got raped on a regular...

In 1972 or so, a friend of the family was attacked b/c he was supposedly a "long haired hippie." He'd gone into a bar in Dryden, a small town about 15 miles from Ithaca, NY. He'd gone there to meet someone, so he was a stranger to the bar -- the old Dryden Hotel. The people in the bar were obviously suspicious and, because the guy was the quiet type, became even more upset because he didn't respond to their provocations. This guy, by the way, was not in any way, shape, or form a hippie--far from it. And his hair was just longer than his collar, maybe to the nape of his neck from photos of him during the era. These guys musta been really pissed at hippies or just totally dumb ass drunk b/c this guy wasn't exactly a lightweight: 48 inch chest, 6' 2". He walked away from the fight, unscathed, but didn't stay at the bar and missed the meeting--a blind date, as I recall.

Kelley

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling