[lbo-talk] Insularity ( Was pale male : question to newyorkers...)

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 20 20:25:07 PST 2004

> > No, snobbish and arrogant. I won't deny that.
> >
> > Doug
>
>Thinking there's nowhere worth being outside of one's city strikes me as an
>insular arrogance.
>
>-- Luke

I think insular is a pretty good description of many NYer's. Obviously not all or even most but more than anywhere else I've spent time. NYer's tend to think that no place on earth is a good as NY which is just an annoying opinion. When they think they there is no need to find out much about the rest of the world because NY has a "part" of everyplace else within it then it becomes more insular. I know you can't draw broad conclusions from a single example but really, can the story about an educated man who thinks milk is a manufactured product like Coke be about anyone other than a NYer? I am not anti-NY by the way. Almost the only good thing about visiting relatives there is that it is a free place to stay in the city. I wouldn't put myself through that to visit another North American city other than SF or Montreal. The cities pros outweigh its cons by quite a bit. If you can afford to live there that is.

John Thornton