[lbo-talk] The Occupation

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 21 06:54:56 PST 2004

>John Mage wrote:
>
>>Fugazy has noted that the media has so far ignored the evident
>>US motive for yesterday's Najaf/Karbala bombings, while
>>repeating a BBC story that incredibly attributes the bombings to the
>>Iraqi resistance. One pretty authoritative voice just spoke up. This
>>will be known (i should think) in hours by everyone in Iraq, will it
>>make it into the US media? I guess it will have to- but doesn't it seem
>>that they are shutting down Iraq news?
>>
>>john mage
>>
> ><http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-12/20/content_2360247.htm>
>>Iranian supreme leader blames US and Israeli agents for Iraqi blasts
>>
>> TEHRAN, Dec. 20 (Xinhuanet) -- Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei
>>said Monday that the US and Israeli agents were behind the weekend
>>bombings in the Iraqi holy cities of Najaf and Karbala, the official
>>IRNA news agency reported.
>
>By the way, in his recent radio interview with me, Christian said
>that a lot of Iraqis can't believe the resistance would kill other
>Iraqis, even though they have. Blaming U.S. or Israeli intelligence
>is a favorite alternative.
>
>Doug

It can't be that Iraqis can't believe Iraqi resistance fighters would kill other Iraqis -- they know that resistance fighters have and will kill collaborators who work for the occupier as politicians, soldiers, policemen, translators, and so forth. Christian Parenti must have meant that many Iraqis attribute the sort of attacks that will make it difficult to unify Iraq to the work of US or Israeli intelligence agents. That is promising. They may turn out to be correct, and if they don't, they still have a usable myth.

>mr amadeus wrote:
>
> >Advocating an
>>international force now would be no different from
> >Bush imploring people not to "forget Poland."
>
>Do you know what Iraqis want? Do you care?
>
>Doug

Iraq is not yet like Vietnam politically. Until something like the Iraqi National Liberation Front emerges, which can claim to represent the aspirations of broad sectors of working-class Iraqis (not just bourgeois and petit-bourgeois Iraqis of this or that faith), US leftists can't make decisions based on what they imagine Iraqis want, because all they hear is disparate voices of unorganized Iraqis (mainly bourgeois and petit-bourgeois Iraqis). Instead, US leftists should work with UK, Korean, Australian, Japanese, and other leftists whose governments sent soldiers and civilians to Iraq to occupy it in order to bring them home -- mainly because occupying a foreign nation is not our business and bad for workers in our countries. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * "Proud of Britain": <http://www.proudofbritain.net/ > and <http://www.proud-of-britain.org.uk/>