[lbo-talk] The Occupation

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 08:25:24 PST 2004

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> It can't be that Iraqis can't believe Iraqi
> resistance fighters would
> kill other Iraqis -- they know that resistance
> fighters have and will
> kill collaborators who work for the occupier as
> politicians,
> soldiers, policemen, translators, and so forth.

Given that those are the best-paying and probably in some places almost the only jobs in Iraq, I would guess that the collaborator population is pretty large. Each of those people has non-collaborator relatives, who I don't think, given that this is a part of the world with a revenge killing tradition, take the murder of their relatives lightly. "My brother's deli served US GI's, so he got killed! That's just great!"

Also, I don't see any reason why fighters with a grudge against Sunni, Shia, Kurds, Christians or whoever wouldn't take potshots at them when they got the chance.

Exodus of Iraqi Christians in full flood as targeted killings grow By Kim Sengupta 12 October 2004

It was midnight in Baghdad, not a time to be out in this place of violence. But the workers from the Baghdad Hunting Club had almost made it back home through the deserted streets when the tyres of their Kia minibus were shredded by a burst of gunfire.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=571219

Posted on Sun, Dec. 12, 2004

Iraq's besieged Christians weigh taking up arms, fleeing into exile

By David George

Knight Ridder Newspapers

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Leaders of the ever-dwindling Christian population in Iraq say bombings of their churches and attacks against their communities may force them to take up guns.

Two more churches were bombed in Mosul last week, the latest attacks, and some Christians say extremist Muslims are terrorizing them with the intent of ousting them and seizing their houses and belongings.

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/10401760.htm

===== Nu, zayats, pogodi!