[lbo-talk] Insularity ( Was pale male : question to newyorkers...)

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Tue Dec 21 08:22:17 PST 2004

On Dec 20, 2004, at 8:11 PM, Luke Weiger wrote:

> Thinking there's nowhere worth being outside of one's city strikes me
> as an
> insular arrogance.

It's the rest of the U.S. that New Yorkers are insular about, not the rest of the world. For instance, Philly has a far higher quality of life, as far as I'm concerned, but what's the average New Yorker's opinion of it? Hah!

About the charge of "arrogance" -- my dictionary defines "arrogant" as "making or disposed to make claims to unwarranted importance or consideration out of overbearing pride." Given that New York is indeed an important city in the U.S., one could dispute whether New Yorkers are actually arrogant in that respect. "Unwarranted consideration"? Well, it does seem that their feelings tend to be very easily hurt. :-)

Around here, in the City of Brotherly Love, we're used to being dissed. Goes with the territory.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________ The mass of man[sic]kind is divided into two classes, the Sancho Panzas who have a sense for reality, but no ideals, and the Don Quixotes with a sense for ideals, but mad. -- George Santayana (Interpretations of Poetry and Religion)