[lbo-talk] Insularity ( Was pale male : question to newyorkers...)

Curtiss Leung scissorsmacgillicutty at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 15:00:09 PST 2004

Some anecdotal evidence from a Brooklynite. It's worth exactly what you paid for it:

I think the insularity and obliviousness to other parts of the nation and the world varies by neighborhood. Affluent upper east and upper west siders are, in my experience, the worst of all. The boundaries of their worlds are the boundaries of their respective neighborhoods: crossing Central Park is like a visit to a congenial, but undeniably foreign, nation; the prospect of the heading downtown is loathsome, of heading further uptown unthinkable, and the outer boroughs are filled with savages who eat their children and dig their wells next to their outhouses.

In my borough, I'd say the people in my neighborhood (Park Slope) and Brooklyn Heights have the worst attitudes. But since the overwhelming majority of people in the Slope and the Heights have to work in M(e)anhattan, we can't be as insular as the good people of the upper east and west sides. Families with children in the Slope likely feel a private sense of superiority at living in a *much better place to raise children* than anywhere in M(e)anhattan.

Williamsburg is now likely overrun with keul kids spending Mommy and Daddy's money. But there was a time, not too long ago, when it seemed as if everyone I met who lived in Williamsburg had just arrived there from Lawrence, Kansas. They were to a one polite and fascinating people; I figured Lawrence must be some magic town because of it. (Then some friends of mine moved to Lawrence and found its charms wore thin after three years, which explaned the steady outflow of students) After that, there seemed to be a tremendous but temporary influx of Germans.

The people I knew who lived in Williamsburg because it was cheap have mostly decamped for Greenpoint, Red Hook, and Long Island City.

Curtiss