[lbo-talk] The Occupation

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 22 13:15:06 PST 2004

> Chris Doss
>

>FWIW I don't think it makes much sense to talk about
>slave owners as being "bad people" in an era in which
>slavery was taken for granted.

What are bad people? It makes sense to consider slave owners as being people who made a really bad choice. They did not have to own slaves they did so for reasons of greed, warped ideas of respect, racist ideas, and others. It was controversial and slave owners knew that many people felt owning slaves was immoral and inhumane. The chose poorly even the context of their own time. That didn't make it unprofitable, just inhumane.

John Thornton