[lbo-talk] Why Progressives Must Embrace the Ukrainian Pro-Democracy Movement By Stephen Zunes

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Thu Dec 23 13:14:16 PST 2004

On Dec 23, 2004, at 3:56 PM, amadeus amadeus wrote:

> I also find it amusing that self-styled US pragmatists
> who failed to elect a Democrat via negative assertion
> might now be championing "democracy" in some far off
> land, all the while staying well away from any
> worthwhile attempt to account for flaws in the US
> elections.

Why assume that folks can't pay attention to an issue abroad and one at home at the same time? As usual, there is the cry that immature leftists can't walk and chew gum at once.

Actually, it seems to me that who wins in Ukraine is basically the business of the Ukrainians. I appreciate Chris' filling us in from his vantage-point nearer the scene than any of the rest of us has.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org _____________________________ "Simply by being human we do not have a common bond. For all we share with all other humans is the same thing we share with all other animals -- the ability to feel pain." -- Richard Rorty