[lbo-talk] Why Progressives Must Embrace the Ukrainian Pro-Democracy Movement By Stephen Zunes

amadeus amadeus amadeus482000 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 13:29:18 PST 2004

> > I also find it amusing that self-styled US
> pragmatists
> > who failed to elect a Democrat via negative
> assertion
> > might now be championing "democracy" in some far
> off
> > land, all the while staying well away from any
> > worthwhile attempt to account for flaws in the US
> > elections.
>
> Why assume that folks can't pay attention to an
> issue abroad and one at
> home at the same time?

Uh, because that's exactly what's happening? Not that I wouldn't love to be convinced otherwise....

> As usual, there is the cry
> that immature
> leftists can't walk and chew gum at once.
>
> Actually, it seems to me that who wins in Ukraine is
> basically the
> business of the Ukrainians.

Except that we know this isn't the case, and it absolutely will NOT be the case in a world where the US continually searches for more ways to stretch its geo-political dominance, in the interest of the further consolidation of capital.

> I appreciate Chris'
> filling us in from his
> vantage-point nearer the scene than any of the rest
> of us has.

...which means that the rest of us should be chewing gum? Or walking?

--adx