[lbo-talk] New Imperialism or New Capitalism?

Sunil/Dissident Voice dissent at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 23 16:00:24 PST 2004

I'd be interested to read what people's thoughts are on this provocative essay by York University economists Jonathan Nitzan and Shishon Bichler, "New Imperialism or New Capitalism?" http://bnarchives.yorku.ca/archive/00000124/01/041214NB_NewImperialismNewCapitalism.pdf

Abstract: Over the past century, the institution of 'capital' and the process of its 'accumulation' have been fundamentally transformed. By contrast, the theories that explain this institution and process have remained largely unchanged. The purpose of this mimeograph is to address this mismatch. Using a broad brush, we outline a new, power theory of capital and accumulation. We use this theory to assess the changing meaning of the corporation and the capitalist state, the new ways in which capital gets accumulated and the specific historical trajectory of twentieth-century capitalism up to the present.

Nitzan was interview yesterday on KPFA's "Against the Grain" program. (www.againstthegrain.org) The interview can be heard on the website. Would love to hear Doug interview them on his show.

Cheers,

-- Sunil