[lbo-talk] christmas bonus on eBay

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Dec 24 06:40:51 PST 2004

>Gary? wrote:
>
>>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>>><http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category%&item770539257&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW>
>>>
> >>You are bidding on my Christmas Bonus!
> >
>>Invalid Item
>>This listing () has been removed by eBay
>
>That was quick! It was there an hour ago.
>
>Doug

Before the item was removed by eBay, the Horizon Air mechanic's Christmas bonus story made the Seattle Times, and from the Seattle Times article we learn that Alaska Air Group recently gave its executives stock units worth $1.5 million. Jeff Pinneo, who runs Horizon, received $157,301 worth of them. The Seattle Times says that "[i]n an effort to cut costs by more than $300 million, Alaska Air Group has announced the layoff of hundreds of workers. Mechanics at Horizon, among the lowest-paid in the industry, have been in contract talks [cf. <http://www.amfa14.org/horizon.htm>] with the airline for nearly two years, including mediation since August." Alaska Pilots have been forced to negotiate with the company, which is determined to cut their wages and benefits and raise productivity at the same time, for 18 months, and their contract just expired on December 15: <http://www.alpa.org/DesktopModules/ALPA_Documents/ALPA_DocumentsView.aspx?itemid=1035&ModuleId=785&Tabid=73>.

Cf. <http://montages.blogspot.com/2004/12/horizon-air-collectable-fine-china-my.html>. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * "Proud of Britain": <http://www.proudofbritain.net/ > and <http://www.proud-of-britain.org.uk/>