[lbo-talk] Re: plagarism watch

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Sat Dec 25 15:28:27 PST 2004

Jon Johanning wrote:
> On Dec 24, 2004, at 9:03 PM, ravi wrote:
>
>> i have learnt more from this thread (on a thus far free mailing list)
>> than i did in the few months that i was foolish enough to give the new
>> york times (and other print media) money to receive trash.
>
> I learn a lot from this list, too, both from the posts themselves and
> from the references to Web sites, books, etc., in them. But it is
> interesting that some of these references are to the Times itself, as
> well as the Wash. Post, LA Times, and other "capitalist, imperialist
> running-dog bird-cage lining," as one might describe them.
>
> In fact, while these periodicals are far from perfect from the political
> point of view, they do convey a certain amount of useful information, so
> they cannot be completely dismissed.

sure lets not dismiss them, but my point is that they are no better (and more often) worse than what i can get in the public domain (probably wrong word here). perhaps that means i am a bit of an ignoramus ;-). or perhaps its because i do not enjoy literary touches much (and find them a bit of an annoyance/impediment): you know, the stuff where they start an article with a reference to some dude in milwaukee, etc, or the books where they provide flowery analogies between violins and superstrings.

--ravi