[lbo-talk] The classic way you lose guerrilla wars

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Dec 27 02:59:16 PST 2004

Summary from Slate's Today's Papers newsletter:

<quote>

The Washington Post's Josh White tags along with soldiers on raids in Samarra, where he describes a "virtual intelligence meltdown." The GIs -- and White -- blame guerrillas' increasing intimidation. "They all watch us and follow all of us," said one resident of the insurgents. "This is the fifth time the Americans have put snipers on the roof. Of course we are afraid. Of course we don't want to help." The soldiers are also operating without translators--they all quit after being threatened.

<end quote>

Full article at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A20723-2004Dec22