[lbo-talk] Missing the Marx

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 28 12:44:42 PST 2004

Suggest you modulate your rhetoric. The "madmemn" who think that justice can be detached from ethical talk include Bentham, Jmaes and John Stuart Mill, the entiree utilitarian tradition, and if I, Wood, Holmstrom, and Reiman are right, Marx. You commit an elementary logical fallacy (affirming the antecedent) when you reason that

Justice is a moral conceot Moral concepts are indispensible Therefore Justice is indespensible

Not all moral concepts may be indespensible even if some of them are. Utilitarians think that the concept of the good is indispensible but the concept of justice and rights is derivative and secondary. The fact they may have bneen wrong about this, and I agree that they were, though you have not shown it, does not change your fallacy into a vbalid argument. Marx thought that freedom was an essential normative concept andf thought justice talk literally laughable. Was he insane? I think he was wrong, but not crazy.

You will score no points by calling your interlocultors stupid, mad, blind, illiterate, obscurantist, sophistic, etc. That is table-pounding. If you disagree, make an argument and make your point. I am cutting you may more slack than your overheated language deserves.