[lbo-talk] How Nonprofit Careerism Derailed the "Revolution"

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Dec 28 16:12:30 PST 2004

Art McGee wrote:

> In order to understand the history of the process which has
> led to the professionalization of activism, you need to read
> classic texts such as this primer:
>
> Black Awakening in Capitalist America
> By Robert L. Allen
> ISBN: 0865431728
> ISBN: 0865431574
>
> Today, activists refer to this phenomena as the "Non-Profit
> Industrial Complex." There was a conference about it a few
> months back:

As a former exploited nonprofit worker, I'm sympathetic to the hostility directed against nonprofits. But at the same time, as an organizer, I have to face the fact that the "movement" won't feed and house me. Given the hostility in movement circles towards professional activists, even those of us who haven't "sold out," the options are mostly working in the non-profit sector or getting sucked into academia. I suspect that many on this list have comfortable academic jobs.

These days I'm trying to make a go at it as a professional activist who works part time jobs. My activist work is hampered by the fact that I live in the suburbs and have infrequent access to a car. This week I'm trying to salvage our infoshop project, which has become an important asset to the Kansas City activist community. My work is hampered by my job status and lack of wheels. We have problems finding volunteers because most of our local activists are busy with school or jobs. I have lots of free time, yet I can't get down to our space. And I can't even begin to do community outreach because that will require even more access to a car.

So my take is that our comrades want to have it both ways: they scold people for taking jobs with nonprofits or colleges, but they won't support grassroots activism with even basic donations or material support. Like I tell people, radicals have less problem giving $15 each day to some capitalist than they do with donating a similar amount PER YEAR to an activist project or organization.

Chuck