[lbo-talk] How Nonprofit Careerism Derailed the "Revolution"

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Wed Dec 29 07:02:59 PST 2004

On Dec 28, 2004, at 7:12 PM, Chuck0 wrote:

> These days I'm trying to make a go at it as a professional activist
> who works part time jobs. My activist work is hampered by the fact
> that I live in the suburbs and have infrequent access to a car. This
> week I'm trying to salvage our infoshop project, which has become an
> important asset to the Kansas City activist community. My work is
> hampered by my job status and lack of wheels. We have problems finding
> volunteers because most of our local activists are busy with school or
> jobs. I have lots of free time, yet I can't get down to our space. And
> I can't even begin to do community outreach because that will require
> even more access to a car.

The group I worked with in the '70s, while based in a large city, tried to answer such questions by setting up communal houses, so that living expenses could be cut, and also shared other communal facilities, such as a car, which was operated as a sort of private rent-a-car. The motivation for setting up this arrangement was that people became dissatisfied with the usual movement organization format of the '60s, with a large number of inactive but relatively monied contributers who supported a small group of full-time activists with occasional checks. Better a bunch of somewhat less than full-time activists who supported themselves.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax