[lbo-talk] Investing in Russia? Some LBO folks have asked

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 29 15:30:43 PST 2004

Over the past few weeks, a number of LBO readers (believe it or not) have asked me about investing in Russia. Russia at this point is very speculative, but since greed is more powerful than fear I have a very strong suggestion. Rosneft, the state-owned oil company that bought the shell company that won the Yukos auction (for about $300 for Yukos’ asset world over $7 billion) has a vehicle for foreigners to invest. That vehicle is Purneftagaz (preferred stocks). With all of Rosneft’s assets being integrated in to Kremlin-controlled Gazprom, buying into Purneftagaz could be a very sweet deal. Like or dislike what his happening in Russia’s corporate environment, there is no doubt that the Kremlin will control Russia’s very lucrative energy resources. Who knows? But my gut tells me that the Kremlin will pay generous dividends.

I know my message is very much out tune with the sentiments usually found on the LBO, but I am just responding to interest directly addressed to me and I thought I would share it.

I am very busy with a number of projects, thus best to respond to my message at plavelle at rol.ru.