[lbo-talk] zio-liberals etc

John Bizwas bizwas at lycos.com
Thu Dec 30 03:35:22 PST 2004

JJ writes:

>>Everyone knows about the Zionist history behind the founding of Israel,
the Holocaust (well, everyone but Holocaust deniers), etc., etc. What I'm interested in is how the violence in that part of the world can be ended, if at all possible, and it seems to me that the way to do that is to empower the people in both Israel and Palestine who want to settle it, as opposed to the people who want to keep it going. What is your position on that?>>

Recognize the right of the Jewish side of Palestine to exist, but to re-integrate Palestinians with Palestine. No more apartheid state founded on lies.

>>(BTW, I don't know about whether modern Hebrew is authentically
"semitic" or not, but I do know that almost no human languages have ever been "pure" anything, since humans constantly borrow from each others' languages.>>

That's not what's at issue , linguistically speaking. English, too, is a literary creole of Danish and Anglo-Saxon, re-lexified with latinate vocabulary, from the Norman invasion and from Milton. The issue is the non-linguistic lie about Hebrew being an ancient semitic language, when modern Hebrew is clearly not, but more clearly a creole of Yiddish, re-lexicalized with Hebrew from religious texts.

>>I didn't answer those questions because I couldn't understand quite
what you were asking. But since I have the opportunity, I can ask. By "zio-liberals," do you mean people who are not committed to eliminating Israel? >>

I think Kenneth Pollack and Friedman (of the NYT) are committed to a hell of a lot more than that--for example, their pro-war positions against Iraq.

>>I don't know what you are referring to by "the illusory 'left' berated
on this list for lack of clarity." You'd have to quote some specific examples.>>

Better yet, why don't you do a bit of work in this discussion and prove me wrong.

-- _______________________________________________ Find what you are looking for with the Lycos Yellow Pages http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default.asp?SRC=lycos10