[lbo-talk] Re: one day "shopping" boycott

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Thu Dec 30 16:16:52 PST 2004

Perhaps this is wrong, but doesn't it hurt to have winking hipsterism, which has always been a form of distinguishing oneself from the normal (i.e. working class) people, smothering the real information people could use about corporate salesmanship and the politics of product choice? The way I see it, Adbusters suggests that the only way to resist these evils is to buy their nonbrand shoes and plan a billboard spray-athon. And they paint these hopeless, ordinary-person-repelling gestures as the cutting edge of radicalism. In other words, they themselves are more package than product.

And they are also far less theoretically advanced than I suspect they think they are. What are we doing calling ourselves "consumers" in the first place? Is _advertising_ or _capitalism_ the problem? The first question has never occurred to them, even though they use people's supposed embrace of the "consumer" role as fuel for their thinly-disguised "alternative" snobbery. The second question suggests that "Adbusting" is rather like scratching the surface.

How many potential converts have looked at this publication and dropped it with nausea? How much better could the decent energies Adbusters corrals and directs be spent? Some and much, IMHO.