[lbo-talk] Re: one day "shopping" boycott

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Thu Dec 30 16:36:45 PST 2004

Michael Dawson wrote:

>How many potential converts have looked at this publication and dropped it
>with nausea? How much better could the decent energies Adbusters corrals
>and directs be spent? Some and much, IMHO.

Not nausea initially. I was intrigued with their anti-advertisement stance and their attempt to capture the effect of advertising on consciousness. On the other hand, the magazine had a slickness that was very off-putting and that seemed to spring from the same source as the "despised" advertising. I sometimes had the creepy feeling that Adbuster staff were almost advertising their skills as cutting edge advertisers and trend-setters.

It was too bad because I also hated the printed-in-the-basement look of all lefty mags and their utter disregard for aesthetics (which went along with their puritanical, pleasure-hating selves)....so I was hoping Adbusters would offer an alternative.

Not.

Joanna