[lbo-talk] Reich on sex & religion

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 31 10:27:54 PST 2004

Yes, religion does have "immense emotional, spiritual, epistemological, political, cultural" significance for many people, and in none of these areas does it make a *useful* contribution to human existence, which was my original point. "God" is a destructive encumbrance to society, not an aid to better living.

BTW, not surprisingly the tsunami has caused renewed interest in the subject of God as a source of evil (theodicy). See: <http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1380094,00.html> <http://www.telegraphindia.com/1041231/asp/foreign/story_4195540.asp> <http://opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110006097>

My own view is that the tsunami is God's latest message to humankind that religion is mindless.

Carl Unrepentant heathen & overposter