[lbo-talk] Limits of Human Knowledge

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 1 13:58:37 PST 2004

Well, W thought it was a tautology that put paid to the entire history of philosophy. To vary the reference with a nother book that W would probably have also thought was stupid (Hume's Enquiry) If it's not about relations of ideas or matter of fact, into the fire with it. And Frank Ramsey capped W's remark, commenting on W's allusive gestures to "the mystical," tos how what cannot be said, by stating that "If you can't say it you can't say it, and you can't whistle it either." Which really leaves us with very little to talk about. Howza weather by you? It's cold here in Shytown.

No wonder W, having finished the Tractatus, temporarily gave up philosophy to be an elementary school teacher in Austria. He was evidentally very bad at it. Children can be cruel and unforgiving towards the terminally wierd. But Russell seduced him back to Cambrisge, and philosophy, and we got the Phil. Investigations and various other things out of it. jks