[lbo-talk] "full of shit"

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 3 04:04:54 PST 2004

OK, I admit to saying that mainly to rile Pugliese. In my opinion, Trotsky (not that I am overwhelmingly knowledgeable) was a good writer, obviously an able military commander, and a rather mediocre political thinker. I think the Permanent Revolution is quite unimpressive; everything is "inevitable."

Frankly, and we are dealing with counterfactuals here, I do not think that the course of the history of the USSR would have been all that different if somebody else except Stalin had come into the leadership. Maybe the USSR would have not been a strong, hypercentralized empire, but instead a weak, crumbling Ottoman Empire-type regime, which by the way would hardly have been able to stand up to the Nazis.

I also do not believe Trotsky is going to be more than an interesting footnote in history. History focuses on winners. Stalin built a superpower; Trotsky raised rabbits. For similar reasons, I think history is going to judge Gorbachev in a very unflattering way. No, I am not "defending Stalin," as if defending or attacking a man 50 years dead would have a point.

I don't think most Russians even know what Trotsky looked like.