[lbo-talk] Buddhism and body parts

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 08:49:16 PST 2004

Kenneth MacKendrick posted:

we *never* find men described in the same (or similar) terms that women are. Liz Wilson writes: "I know of no comparable scene is post-Asokan Buddhist literature that presents a horrifically transformed male body to the female gaze as a source of edification." The mutilation, and stories of the mutilation of women, are used to quell male desire (ie. men are to meditate upon the mutilated and decaying bodies of women).

Yes.

I don't dispute Wilson's description of post-Asokan literature as regards encouragement to contemplate women in states of decay and similar admonitions to frustrated ascetics.

I was focusing however, on the specific context of the early story of Siddartha in the harem, upon which the Buddhist authors Wilson analyses built an unfortunate oeuvre of morbid meditations.

I don't believe the ancient tale itself - never mind for a moment later interpretations and precoccupations - is weighted down by the woman-bashing modern eyes so eagerly see.

DRM