[lbo-talk] Buddhism and body parts

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Wed Feb 4 16:22:50 PST 2004

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Dwayne Monroe

> weighted down by the woman-bashing modern eyes so eagerly see.

** Despite the plethora of feminist readings of Buddhism... the tradition is drenched with misogynist writings, images, and practices. Buddhist practices continually call upon women to embody abstract ideals for spectators. The heyday of 'progressive' readings of Buddhism is over (Foley, Bode, Horner). Women have had to struggle for basic rights and access to the public sphere within all strands of Buddhism (historically speaking), just as they have in nearly every single other religious tradition. Female flesh is quite often the bait for the hook of Dharma. It is simply gross to assert that modern eyes are weighted down by feminist-historical criticism rather than liberated from sexist practices and sexist readings of history.