[lbo-talk] Activistism piece

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 09:27:58 PST 2004

--- Chuck0 <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:
> The WWP is a perfect example of what Doug, Liza and
> Christian are
> talking about, albeit they are more apolitical than
> anti-intellectual.
> Isn't it curious how a hard left sectarian
> organization like the WWP is
> so non-political?

I dont know much about the history of the WWP, but it seems to me altogether possible that their "activistism" might be a reaction to parts of the US left that did engage in theoretical work and ended up doing a lot of bickering.

When was the last internal split
> they had? Activists
> have long accused the WWP of doing activism for the
> sake of doing activism.

Well, I would agree with that. It seems like they (and they are not alone...a lot of activists are like this) live from demonstration to demonstration, like junkies awaiting their next fix.

> If the anti-war movement hadn't parked it's nose up
> the butt of ANSWER,
> it would be able to smell these changing political
> winds,

The reason the anti-war movement fell in behind ANSWER was precisely due to its (the anti-war movement) theoretical disorientation. And who could blame them? Immediately after September 11th any reasonable activist in this country would have been disorientated and unsure of what to do. It was at that point that WWP/IAC/ANSWER could and did fill the void for better or worse.

-Thomas

===== <<You and me baby ain't nothin' but mammals So let's do it like they do it on the Discovery Channel>>

Bloodhound Gang, "The Bad Touch"