[lbo-talk] Kerry: America First!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 5 10:08:40 PST 2004

Michael Dawson wrote:

>Given your enthusiasm for pre-Iowa Dean, I'm surprised you see no Nader
>effect on the DP. Wasn't Dean's early success pretty much a result of Nader
>folks swallowing the poison pill and trying again to work with the DP? It
>sure has been here in Oregon.

There weren't enough Nader folks to make that much of a difference. Dems and people like them are energized by the desire to remove Bush. They seem quite singleminded, and I don't remember anything like it during the Reagan years.

>As for Kerry, how many levels are there to describe how revolting -- and,
>dare I say it, unelectable -- he is?

Unelectable? I dunno about that. Look down a list of U.S. presidents. Hardly a dazzling crew.

>But, notwithstanding all that, I'm also surprised you put so much stock in
>ADA Senatorial scores.

I'm not endorsing the ADA (that's Max's job), but it's a venerable and reasonably "objective" measure. Do you have any evidence of Kerry's deep GOPness aside from a feeling?

Doug