[lbo-talk] Kerry: America First!

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 5 19:21:31 PST 2004

I just don't buy this either/or thing, either - that somehow
>"social" issues are distractions from the "real" issues.

Neither do I.

>Nader, however, is a joyless character from whom whole registers of human
>life seem missing.

I think this statement is a little much. He didn't seem too joyless when he appeared on Saturday Night Live, and he does have a rather sharp, if dry sense of humor, as to registers of human life, I would say he has lived a rather rich life that has affected many people in a positive way. It seems a testiment to the corruption of the soul of progressive America, that someone like Ralph Nader is scorned in favor of people like Gore, Dean and Kerry who represent the interests that Nader has done battle with for decades - and the justification for scorning Nader is the miserable business of rationalizing continued support for the soul-less Democratic Party combined with the notion that 'Bush' somehow represents an evil that is quantitatively different from anybody the Democrats could serve up.

It is also amazing that despite the fact that Bush and Kerry share a common affiliation with a poweful Secret Society, 100 of whose members told author Alexandra Robbins that it would make no difference to them whether Bush or Kerry won, and that despite the fact that Kerry has among his campaign staff the likes of Rand Berry, formerly Bush's point man on the drug war in Colombia, that people will still find ways of rationalizing support for Kerry. It is one thing to be resigned to the fact that Kerry will be the Democratic nominee and to decide that one must vote for the Democrat because one reasons that the Democratic Party may offers the prospect of less stormy weather (however untrue that might be), but why don't those who want to hold Nader responsible for some marginal votes in Florida and therefore for the last 3-4 years, also apportion blame to the Democrats who have enabled and collaborated with the Bush gang on the issues that matter the most. Nader is a scapegoat and Nader-bashing is a distraction from the necessary task of Democratic party abandonment.

Joe W.