[lbo-talk] Re: Rochester

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Thu Feb 5 19:34:44 PST 2004

"This, I think, is a very great poem; perhaps Rochester's best. It is also by most standards an obscene poem, and certainly sexually charged. But unless by pornography one means anything that mentions sex, I don't see how it could serve the uses of pornography. I certainly can't imagine it being an aid to masturbation, nor do I think Rochester ever intended it as such, and I doubt it has ever been so used."

Yeah, well, it's ok. Rochester was the most unconsciously good poet ever -- great? I don't know. He didn't do much with his gift...also the theme of the poem -- oddly. But this poem is not mean to arouse or tittilate -- so, not pornographic.

Joanna