[lbo-talk] Voting & Non-Voting Classes (Kerry: America First!)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 5 20:09:53 PST 2004

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:
> BTW, Kerry's nomination will prove wrong, once
> again, the idea that
> those who want to build a mass political party on
> the left should
> participate in Democratic caucuses and primaries to
> "take back the
> party."

First of all, is there a concerted effort to "take back the party"? I read Domhoff and others making the suggestion that it should be attempted, but I dont really see any activity in that direction. If there is, let me know about it, because I would be interested in hearing the issues surrounding it.

Along the lines of Doug, I am not voting Democratic because I think things will greatly improve if the Dems get the White House. I am just hoping that things might get a little less terrible. And if the situation doesnt improve by electing a Dem, will anything have been lost? Going to the voting booth and pulling a lever will not distract me or anyone I know from participating in street action (or participating in the big putsch that is-and has been for the last, oh, 100 years- imminent). It might remove me- momentarily-from the hot air factory where many Leftists, including me, spend so much of their time, but I will quickly return to that place. Not to worry.

So what's the big deal? Is it to be argued that I am encouraging illusions by voting? I dont think so. I am not promoting it as "THE" way of changing things.

-Thomas