[lbo-talk] RE: Sex and the City

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Fri Feb 6 08:03:09 PST 2004

Doesn't Samantha do badly in this poll because she makes men feel horribly threatened? Wouldn't most worry that they couldn't keep up with her? That anxiety about female insatiability -- Samantha is like female vampire the Victorians fantasized, who could permanently and unrecoverably drain your semen, as Bram Dijkstra describes in Evil Sisters -- is still pretty pervasive.

The solution to this obvious problem on the show - pairing her with an insatiable youth, celebrity, handsome, so comfortable in his masculinity he doesn't mind being thought gay - is, I think, quite clever and astute.

Liza