[lbo-talk] RE: Sex and the City

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 6 21:36:33 PST 2004

Liza said:

> Doesn't Samantha do badly in this poll because she makes men feel horribly
> threatened? Wouldn't most worry that they couldn't keep up with her? That
> anxiety about female insatiability -- Samantha is like female vampire the
> Victorians fantasized, who could permanently and unrecoverably drain your
> semen, as Bram Dijkstra describes in Evil Sisters -- is still pretty
> pervasive.
>
> The solution to this obvious problem on the show - pairing her with an
> insatiable youth, celebrity, handsome, so comfortable in his masculinity
he
> doesn't mind being thought gay - is, I think, quite clever and astute.
>
> Liza

Well, I guess one thing about Samantha which appeals to men is that she has she what used to be regarded as a "masculine" attitude to sex --- as opposed, I _stress_, to the the multitude of ways in which women and men actually behave.

And any man who couldn't keep up is either (1) lacking in specific interest in her, (2) lacking in basic physical fitness, or (3) doesn't know how to operate sexually with any part of his body other than his penis. To one or more of which I would almost certainly plead guilty at some time or another
:-)

Grant.