[lbo-talk] Re: Kerry: America First!

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 08:04:01 PST 2004

Tahir wrote:
> If that's ALL you're looking for then that's ALL
> you'll be looking for forever and ever.
> Tahir

No, at any moment of time we must "SOBERLY" take stock of the political landscape. Right now, the movements in the US are not in a position of power. And, as the "activistism" piece implies, there is not even a clear plan or vision as to how to proceed...just more and more demonstrations and meetings. Well, maybe those demonstrations and meeting will eventually bring forth a vision and a theory about how to proceed, but for now they haven't.

I do believe we have in power a group of neo-conservatives that is somewhat more aggressive and draconian than the Democrats. Now if you dont agree with that then the discussion ends there.

So, what to do? Should we just refuse to take part and wait until "the movement" is strong enough to have greater direct influence? I have been waiting 25 years for that, wake me up when it is time to go.

If Doug were suggesting that we stop street action and just pin our hopes on the Democratic Party I would not be in agreement with him. But that is not what he is suggesting. We must continue to fight in the streets and, even more, as the "activist" piece recommends, develop theory and visions of a better world.

-Thomas