[lbo-talk] "Irregardless"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Feb 7 09:42:43 PST 2004

Gary? wrote:

> and we should all pronounce nuclear a la Bush ??

We can give a day to trivia I guess.* Just because a word is 'real' is not sufficient justification for using it in any given context. And just because a word is obnoxious (to some or many, for good reasons or bad) does not exclude it from "real" (i.e., part of the lexicon of a language), which is determined by history.

Carrol

*Anyhow, Yoshie's last post makes the most important point to be made currently on LBO and other circles of the Frightened** Left (Activistism & the Democratic Party (Kerry: America First!).

**Terrified? Panicked? Bonkers with Fear? We need a good label for the present headlong plunge into Nonbeing.