[lbo-talk] S.C.A.R.Y.(was: Activistism & the Democratic Party)

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Mon Feb 9 03:50:26 PST 2004

At 12:02 AM 2/9/2004, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> > My question is about the recent period. Do race and
> > ethnicity remain
> > important tools of bourgeois hegemony even today?
> >

>Yes. WEB DuBois said at the beginning of the 20th
>century that the color line was The problem of that
>century. It remains so. To this you have to add the
>regional divide between the North and South -- the
>scars of the civil war are unhealed. Race is key to
>this. The best book on this is Mike Davis' 20 year old
>Prisoners of the American Dream.
>
>jks

This reminded me of the rebel bumper stickers I saw on display yesterday. We'd traveled north, to a county most people around here refer to as 'redneck heaven.'

We stopped off at a flea market and I decided to buy a variation of the Darwin Fish (This one says Sushi http://www.evolvefish.com/) to plaster on my car because I'm so deathly sick of the dog gammed fish on the backs of cars.

While waiting for my Sushi fish, I thought of Doug who sneered at the idea that Rebel flags might signify, for some, hatred of northern, lib'r00l Yankee condescension toward Southerners. Displayed prominently in bumper stickers decked out with reb flags were:

Proud to be a Redneck Yankee Go Home If they call it tourist season, why can't we shoot them? S.C.A.R.Y. Southern Citizens Advocating Relocating Yankees I Don't Care How You Did It Up North Happiness is a Northbound Yankee

Kelley