[lbo-talk] Feds go after records, NLG

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Feb 9 08:16:24 PST 2004

CB: First they came for the Lawyers Guild, and I said nothing because I wasn't in the Lawyers Guild......Hey , wait a minute. I _am_ in the Lawyers Guild !

^^^^ From: Doug Henwood

http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2004/02/07/drake/index.html

Feds win right to war protesters' records BY RYAN J. FOLEY

Feb. 7, 2004 | DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- In what may be the first subpoena of its kind in decades, a federal judge has ordered a university to turn over records about a gathering of anti-war activists.

-clip- In addition to records about who attended the forum, the subpoena orders the university to divulge all records relating to the local chapter of the National Lawyers Guild, a New York-based legal activist organization that sponsored the forum.