[lbo-talk] Re: RE: Bush interview

Brad Mayer Bradley.Mayer at Sun.COM
Mon Feb 9 09:24:04 PST 2004

> Newly anointed New York Times columnist David Brooks has
> deplored both the viciousness and the shallowness of today's politics,
> compared with the Athenian atmosphere he recalls in the 1980s.

Somewhat tangental, but it would be interesting to see the Brooks' column that contains this passage. The "Athenian '80's", with Pericles telling us that "It's Morning Again in Attica"?

That anyone would mistake Reagantime for the Greek Classical Age plumbs the depths of the general depravity that the American ruling class has fallen into - and liberals are most definitely included. Neocons are just the leading edge. But it all really got started with Reaganism, which still runs rampant today, now though as the crisis rather than the answer to crisis.

As for Bush, his gang has scored a stunning success corralling the Left back into the two-party scam. Now they are at the racetracks along with everybody else. Alas, as "activists" were betting on the wrong horse (Dean), it will be slightly amusing to watch these pathetic creatures scramble onto the "whatever" (Kerry) bandwagon (it's a horserace with bandwagons, metaphorically speaking :-)

Perhaps some long knives are finally being drawn within the ruling class over Bush, and especially over Cheney. Certainly Soros has drawn his, but he is really a Euro (again, what a telling comment on the American state that the "main opposition" in American politics is not even an American), and what is really needed is a horse called something like Perot. Now that would be interesting - and the Left can support the independent rightwinger, too. Or do they only support rightwingers called Democrats - why? Or I mean, Whatever?

Or maybe it is just more scamming hype. Bush got the WMD investigation pushed out past the election, so Cheney is the only shoe left hanging.

Otherwise, it is safe to tune out America for the time being. Move along, nothing new here. And no, I didn't watch Bush's interview nor Janet Jacksons' boob either.

Rest of the world is much more interesting.

-Brad Mayer