[lbo-talk] Re: RE: Bush interview

T Fast tfast at yorku.ca
Mon Feb 9 09:58:04 PST 2004

> > Newly anointed New York Times columnist David Brooks has
> > deplored both the viciousness and the shallowness of today's politics,
> > compared with the Athenian atmosphere he recalls in the 1980s.
>
> Somewhat tangental, but it would be interesting to see the Brooks'
> column that contains this passage. The "Athenian '80's", with Pericles
> telling us that "It's Morning Again in Attica"?
>
> That anyone would mistake Reagantime for the Greek Classical Age plumbs
> the depths of the general depravity that the American ruling class has
> fallen into - and liberals are most definitely included.

Well there is the mattter of the Romans and here there are some useful comparisons in the transition from a Republic to an Empire and the battle between leading houses of the republic for power. Ceasar got stabbed and the Republic was no more. When Bush got elected in a rigged vote that was then sanctioned by the courts your republic died. So Athens no, but as ever Rome.

Travis

Neocons are